Week 9 of packaging design is complete. Week 9 was a very busy one. I went a few days over, which was mainly because I was aiming for a comprehensive result. This week required us to investigate and understand our imagery brand by creating a name and logo. We also refined our pack structures. It sounds simple enough writing it here, however, each task required a lot of research and ideation.
I find it fascinating researching potential business names and transforming an idea into a name and eventual logo. You see all the pieces coming together that is backed by all of the research and ideation you have completed thus far.
To begin week 9 we looked at the personality and values that we wanted our brand to uphold. It was important to consider that the personality and brand were able to connect to the target market. The brand personality that I selected was; charismatic, confident, dynamic, honest, industrious and reliable. The brand values I chose were: accuracy, development, efficiency, growth, innovation, quality and strength. We created image boards for each personality trait or value. This helped to see how each of these could be recognised in real word experiences and the types of imagery that is connected to each form.
Creating A Name
To start the process of creating a name I made a mind map. This included words and associations that I wanted to make of the brand.
Next I compiled a list of words from the mindmap.
After this, I combined words together and looked at potentially using ‘real names’. By generating random last names.
Once I had a list of potential names I started an investigation into the viability of each name. I looked for any registered business name, trademarks, domain registrations or social media accounts. Of the 80 names evaluated, I found that 8 were available. These included; Acuscrew, Bold Brace Tools, Evlabuild, Evlatrade, Frank Fasteners, Screw Link, Tough Forge Tools and Tumicks.
I decided that I really liked the name Tumicks and picked it as the brand name.
Now that I had my brand name (Tumicks) it was time to start developing the logo. I started by creating a number of sketches. Some focussed on typography, while others used shapes and lines.
Next, I used the computer to explore various fonts and typefaces. I searched a large variety of typefaces from Adobe Typekit, my Monotype Subscription and past purchases from Creative Market. In the end, I decided on six typefaces that I liked the most.
I selected to use the typeface Posterama 1927 Semibold and created some alternative designs with imagery (either shapes or lines).
I liked the design of the i in the middle of the word being replaced with a screw. I further developed this and used a different screw for the appropriate packaging. So that there was no confusion between packaging types.
Refined Pack Structures
The final task of the week was to refine packaging structures. I created 8 different structures where I improved different aspects to find a suitable form that will be used.