It has been over a month since I posted an update to my writing a children’s book series. The reason, I have fallen into the realm of the dreaded art-block. I have had considerable trouble creating the illustrations and found it hard to gather the motivation and inspiration. 😔
I know this art-block is not an inability to create art. It is the emotional consequence of feeling overwhelmed and highly critical of what I am producing.
I think the best way that I can tackle the art-block is to focus on the fundamental forces that are affecting me and remember the reasons why I want to create the book.
✨ Ideas on how to overcome art-block
I have created a list of intentions, which I hope will allow me to move forward and vanquish the villainess art-block! If you are in a similar situation, maybe they will be useful for you too! 💖
- Accept that this is going to take some time and don’t rush it, if that means I don’t meet my self-publishing February deadline for publication, that is okay! 😌
- Focus on one illustration at a time and don’t think about all of them at once 😂
- If one illustration feels overwhelming, simplify it into a focus of one detail at a time, such as; arms, legs, body, clothes, accessories or background elements 😁
- Be kind to myself, and know I am striving to create the best I can 🙃
- If I feel stressed, take a break and look at my work with fresh eyes 😗
- The first version of each artwork does not have to be perfect; there is time for revision and improvements 😊
- Don’t measure my artistic abilities to other people, we all have a style and amount of experience that we bring to our selected artforms 😍
- Remember that my intention in creating this book is about positivity and spreading the message that women can do so many things! 🙋🏻 🙋🏼 🙋🏽 🙋🏾 🙋🏿 💖
I am hopeful by following my suggestions I will be able to move forward and finish the illustrations. Writing this post feels like it has already shifted my perspective by allowing me to see my most significant obstacles and ways to potentially solve them. 😀
- If you’re an artist have you ever found yourself struck with art-block?
- Do you have any suggestions on how to overcome art-block?